Virtualization software market is expected to reach USD 120.41 billion by 2026 from USD 62.7 billion in 2020 at a CAGR of 11.5%. The software allows users to run multiple operating systems using only one computer, one will be physical, and another will be virtual. It is like one IT resource hosting multiple IT resources that include servers, applications, storage capacity, clients, networks, etc. As we know, we have limited resources; what virtualization software will do is help us get more value out of them. Now there can be plenty of things that this software can perform and make life easier for you; let us go by the list:
- Virtualization software will back up your entire operating system or server installation just the way we take back-up of our files.
- If you are using one OS, let us say Windows, but also wish to try Linux or Mac OS, you can repartition your computer’s hard drive, but you have to take care of snapshots and related stuff. All this is also done by virtualization software, which will be easier to work with.
- Running older applications, suppose you have a particular app that runs on Windows 8, but now you have updated to Windows 10. Not a problem anymore because you can just run Windows 8 on the same computer with the help of virtualization.
- It knows about the existing dirty files while taking snapshots, which means it saves all settings & hard drive contents in another part of the computer so you can make changes and reverse those changes according to your needs.
- Your computer is protecting you from hacks by taking snapshots that save everything back to normal, and you can stay safe from hackers by a browser of your choice.
- It will let you try an application before having to install or uninstall it. You can create a copy of the existing OS and its data and make changes to be sure if it will be fine or not on your original OS.
Benefits of Virtualization Software
Whenever a physical server is affected, it requires a lot of effort to fix it, whereas while working on a virtual machine, it can easily be fixed, allowing to replicate or clone the affected virtual machine. The recovery process would take only a few minutes, unlike physical servers that take hours; hence, it improves business efficiency.
Enhanced efficiency and productivity
Using virtual software will allow you to run multiple OS on a single computer, eliminating heavy hardware setup. This will allow your IT team to spend less time maintaining physical servers, and you will need lesser workforce to tackle the IT infrastructure. Hence, you will be able to increase the productivity and efficiency of your organization. Installation, updating, and maintenance will be easier across all the virtual machines.
Save your IT expense
The difference between a physical server and a virtual server is that a physical server sits idle when you are not consuming the application on the server and cannot be used for other applications. Whereas if you use virtualization software, you can turn one physical server into multiple servers, allowing different OS and applications to run on the same computer. The consolidation of applications onto a single computer will save your money and bring cost savings to the organization.
The virtualized environment is divided into multiple virtual machines. Now you can allow multiple developers to perform testing of applications without risking the data saved on that machine. For instance, if a new software patch is released, checking its impact on the environment without disturbing the environment is possible with the help of best virtualization software.
Reducing the use of physical servers by installing the virtual environment is a sustainable idea that helps in protecting nature by reducing power consumption and saving some costs that can be further utilized for other work. Not only that, but it also reduces the carbon footprint of data centers.
Apart from these major benefits, other advantages are load balancing, reduced physical size of your data center, reduced downtime, etc.