Encryption software converts plaintext into ciphertext by processing it through an encryption algorithm. An algorithm can either be symmetric or asymmetric. Once encrypted, the data can be read only after it is processed using an encryption key. Encryption software protects sensitive data at rest, in transit, and in process and is useful for on-premises as well as cloud environments.
The Top Ten Vendors in the Encryption Software Market are:
- Symantec Endpoint Encryption: Symantec delivers endpoint encryption, information-centric encryption, desktop email encryption, file sharing encryption, cloud data protection and security, gateway email encryption, and command line. With Symantec Endpoint Encryption, the sensitive data of enterprises is secured.
- Dell Data Protection: Dell Data Protection is a best-in-class encryption software that seamlessly encrypts data-in-motion, data-at-rest, and data-in-use. Dell complements its offering in the Encryption Software market with other useful tools, including Encryption Enterprise, Encryption External Media, Data Guardian, and BitLocker Manager.
- IBM Security Guardium: IBM Security Guardium secures sensitive business data without the need for coding or modification of databases and applications. The encryption solution from IBM can be scaled and adapted for all environments, regardless of size and complexity.
- McAfee: McAfee is a leading security solution for networks, endpoints, and databases. Its encryption, server security, threat protection, SIEM, and web security solutions are cutting-edge. On the encryption front, McAfee offers three solutions: Complete Data Protection, Complete Data Protection–Advanced, and Total Protection for DLP.
- Trend Micro Endpoint Encryption: Trend Micro Endpoint Encryption encrypts data, emails, and cloud platforms. Its on-premises encryption solution can encrypt disks, folders, and files located on endpoints. The company also provides self-encrypting drives based on technologies from TCG OPAL, Seagate, and OPAL 2.
- Sophos SafeGuard Encryption: The key features of Sophos are network security, endpoint security, email security, web security, and cloud security. Sophos SafeGuard Encryption encrypts files as they are created and prevents users without the proper permissions from accessing encrypted data.
- PkWare Smartcrypt: The PkWare Smartcrypt solution comes with Smartcrypt Enterprise Manager and enables businesses to exert complete control over sensitive data. Administrators can use Smartcrypt Enterprise Manager to enforce and align encryption policies and manage Smartcrypt agents with ease. The key features of Smartcrypt include enhanced encryption key management, enhanced policy management, simpler key distribution & exchange, and data security intelligence.
- Microsoft BitLocker: Microsoft BitLocker is a leading provider of business cloud encryption solutions. BitLocker makes use of secure transfer protocols in order to safely transfer data between endpoints and data centers. Microsoft BitLocker leverages the Microsoft Public Key Infrastructure for authenticating users and endpoints.
- Netskope: Netskope can be used as a key broker between an on-premises key management service and a cloud service. This solution can selectively apply strong encryption to the sensitive data stored on the cloud servers of an organization.
- Skyhigh Networks: Skyhigh Networks features Structured Data Encryption, which secures structured data using function-preserving encryption and enterprise-controlled keys. This solution can read and encrypt existing data in the cloud.
Other leading encryption software include CipherCloud, Certes Networks, ESET Endpoint Encryption, Protegrity USA, Inc., Boxcryptor, CyberSafe, Communication Security Group, AWS Certificate Manager, Axcrypt, Baffle, Bitdefender, Bitglass, Box KeySafe, CertainSafe, Challenger, CheckPoint SandBlast Agent, Confide, Crypho, CryptoMove Key Vault, CylancePROTECT, DiskCryptor, Enveil ZeroReveal, ESP, FileVault, Folder Lock, GnuPG, Ionic Security, Kalepso, Keybase, Let’s Encrypt, Micro Focus, MX, PreVeil Security, PreVeil Email, Stormshield, Thales eSecurity, The Virtru Platform, TokenEx, Tor, Unbound Key Control (UKC), USB to Serial Converter, VERA, VeraCrypt, and WinMagic.
What Role does Encryption Software Play during the COVID-19 Pandemic?
Globally, organizations are struggling financially and operationally due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Many companies are bleeding revenue and are being forced to furlough or terminate staff. In times like this, information security often takes a hit, as some management teams fail to understand that cybersecurity is among the most vital segments during such critical times.
Organizations across industries have switched to working from home, making web applications critical for business. Downtime or data breaches are often disastrous—more so during a pandemic that the world is ill-equipped to deal with. It is important to secure sensitive business information before it is compromised by cybercriminals, and encryption software is built to do just that.
Scams and malware are being spread at full force, and all possible vulnerabilities are being exploited to mount attacks against companies. Encryption software can help greatly at a time like this—for instance, to encrypt emails that could otherwise be hijacked to install malware or lead to vulnerable websites.